Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Word.


Project Proposition:

Create a cheap piece of modern art work for my room.


My Thinking:

After getting a little bit of inspiration from Ikea (how I love their big urban art images…) and stumbling upon this cute blog, it came to me. Words of wisdom would be perfect art to hang on the wall. http://imnotreallyadiva.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-molly-sims-inspired-artworkdiy.html


Solution:

I took an old Hobby Lobby canvas and painted it white. While waiting for the white paint to dry my next task was to figure out what words to paint. No song lyrics could hit the right spot, so I turned to Mark Twain and found the following quote,


“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”


Word.


I picked up some stencils from Hobby Lobby (about 2 inches) and began hammering out word for word the quote. I came to the realization that my stencils were too large for such a long quote so I had to cut the quote down (sorry MT).


What’s great about art is it doesn’t have to be perfect, I intentionally and unintentionally smudged some of the letters, this is what I like to call character building.


Success:

I need to post a picture, but this was a super easy art project if you are looking for a cheap, fun project.

No comments:

Post a Comment